About the University of Alabama School of Dentistry
The University of Alabama School of Dentistry, a unit of the Medical Center of the University of Alabama at Birmingham, was created by an act of the state legislature in 1945, the same year that the School of Medicine moved to Birmingham from the university campus in Tuscaloosa and became a four-year school. The School of Dentistry admitted its first class of students in October 1948. Since that time it has gained a national reputation for excellence. In addition to its first professional degree (D.M.D.) program, the school offers accredited postdoctoral programs in twelve areas of study. The development of "four-handed dentistry" and the expanded utilization of trained auxiliary personnel were pioneered at this institution.
Students at the University of Alabama School of Dentistry pursue their professional education utilizing modern equipment in recently renovated facilities. The renovations include all new state-of-the-art lecture rooms, new patient receiving and business areas, dental chairs and delivery systems, a new lobby and front entrance and preclinical labortary. The clinical facilities of the School of Dentistry Building contain more than 125,000 square feet of clinical teaching space. Teaching of the basic biomedical sciences is accomplished in Volker Hall. This multipurpose complex houses five lecture halls ranging in size from 125 to 700 seats and utilizes innovative audiovisual equipment and teaching aids, as well as wet and dry laboratories.
Library facilities include the Lister Hill Library of the Health Sciences and the Hammonds Reading Room. The Lister Hill Library is located immediately adjacent to the basic science facility (Volker Hall) and offers a full range of comfortable accommodations for reading and study. The library collection now contains more than 255,000 volumes and includes subscriptions to the world's leading biomedical journals, with some 2,800 titles currently available. The library offers many computerized services. The computerized integrated catalog, DYNIX, and the full MEDLINE service are available from home or office by telephone. A microcomputer lab is available for student and faculty use. Other services include interlibrary loans, photocopying, information and instructional services, and search capabilities to a large number of on-line and compact disc databases.
Lister Hill Library of the Health Sciences
The Lister Hill Library of the Health Sciences, established in 1945, is the largest biomedical library in Alabama and one of the leading such libraries in the South. It serves as a Resource Library in the National Network of Libraries of Medicine for the Southeast/Atlantic region. Its collections span seven centuries of knowledge beginning with the 33 incunabula within the ten thousand old and rare books to approximately 2000 current print journal subscriptions. The volumes of books, bound journals, microforms, and other media currently held total approximately 318,000 volumes
Also, the Hammonds Reading Room is located in the School of Dentistry Building. Current issues of journals dealing primarily with clinical dentistry are available in this facility.